As I sit her the temperature outside is in the Negative here in Chicago, Being a firefighter in this weather soup is a firefighters friend…I know in our firehouse its not unusual to have a pot of soup on the stove for the entire shift. The kitchen is an important focal point of or job, we eat together, cook together, and share the brotherhood. Its where we remember the brothers and sisters that have paid the ultimate sacrifice yesterday was no different, we lost 2 brothers in Toledo, our thoughts and prayers go out to the Toledo Fire Department, the families of the fallen brothers.
Today I made one of my favorite soups, I remember the first time I ordered it, hesitant that I wouldn’t like it, but the first taste I fell instantly in love with this soup, its a creamy lemon flavored chicken and rice dish made with egg. Ive been wanting a bowl for a long time so I decided to make it today and hit it out of the park. I was able to capture the simple taste, with a fresh flavor. So here is the recipe I hope you enjoy as much as I did and my family did. Thanks for not giving up on me trying to get back into things, had a lot going on just welcomed into the world and our family our new daughter Piper…
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 6 cups of Chicken Stock
- ¾ cup white long grain instant rice
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup of Fresh squeezed strained lemon Juice 6-8 Lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add stock and rice to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Pull Chicken from bone discard skin chop the chicken and add chicken to pot.
- Remove soup from heat and cover.
- Using a citrus press squeeze the juice from 6-8 lemons about ⅔ cup I also add some lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk lemon juice into eggs until frothy I used my Hand Blender on Low.
- Ladle out about 1 cup hot broth from soup pot and slowly whisk it into the eggs and lemon mixture, whisking continually.
- Slowly stir the warmed eggs into the pot of soup.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.